Building The Prototype

Over the last week, I started a deeper dive into my digital mapper concept.

When I talk to people on the floor and around the city I find that many people are really engaged with the overall idea seeing this a big problem when putting into context, starting to do the mental math in their heads of posting online. What my target audience and asked individuals though still have problems building/identifying the conceptual model of the experience that I have.


For this day of testing, I wanted to answer two particular questions that people appear to have when talking about my project. Firstly, when describing this concept to people they appear to have difficulty in the conceptual model of the interface. I want to test if  my paper prototype has a clear mental model without extra help through the current interface design of creating a scrapbook. If that isn’t the case what do I need to change or include to make sure it comes across clearly to the user. The other primary testing point for this large scale prototype is to see if the current concept, curation of one’s excessive amount of digital hoarding, comes about from this experience. This includes the interface notes of the limited mental memory and memories coming in from multiple sources.


To demonstrate the current experience I have planned, I broke it out into 3 parts: Access, Curation, Realization.

First is where users go through prototype screens of an Ipad to log in their information and get verification to use there s.m ( social media) information to populate the curation process. In this stage, users will be briefed after giving permission in a warning alert like fashion that this system no has been given access to your memories do demonstrate that what you forget here will be forgotten online as well (in truth this won’t be the case but implying the effect helps the serious undertones) and asked to continue.  Users can choose to include their email allowing their curated wall to be shared later.

With access to their information granted an onboarding sequence will play on the Ipad or wall. For the purposes of this experience, I acted as this with a short demonstration. This small part shows how to save a memory, what the memory counter is, how to bring new memories into the interaction space and when the interactive side of the memory mapper is finished.


Users selecting a particular memory by forming a frame around them

After users will see the board next to the Ipad start to populate with posts and events from their digital history at a rate of fifteen posts at a time in an attempt to not overwhelm them immediately. In this stage, users take from the memory counter string wrapping around memories they want to pick at which point a confirmation prompt appears. If they confirm it the loop wraps and is cut from the total amount if not the loop goes back to the total amount. This process continues until they hit next when more memories enter the space. Including larger ones representing memories with significant s.m traffic via likes, comments, etc. memories will scale based on that information. When the user runs out of string or they tap finish, the process is complete and their wall can be saved and shared. A final alert appears at the end telling them to check their facebook as memories not saved in the scrapbook have been forgotten from ___. 


After 3 hours of testing, I performed 4 rounds with people on the floor, of which none knew of the original problem/purpose of the project going into the user test only asking about it afterward.

It was clear that there were still some problems the most prominent being the displaying of the memories as a whole….   .One idea proposed back to me was to keep all the posted content visible throughout the experience instead of surprising them only at the end. This will keep the feeling of overwhelmingness throughout the play time.

Another noticeable point was when given the set of sudo-memories Zack and Carla (1st and 2nd testers) didn’t know where to start selecting memories. Since all memories were the same size and ambiguous there was no incentive to explore or choose. To resolve this a proposed answer by Zack was to take advantage of the information provided by the users s.m accounts and scale the size of the post by their online popularity/proposed significance. I believe that this could be a worthwhile solution bringing back the online believed value, and now the larger sized content can require more “mental memory” vs other content.


Author Davidutt

More posts by Davidutt